Involved in this is:
- Pastoral care of residents/patients plus Day Centre clients of a HSE hospital for elderly men and women
- Complementing the work of the staff who attends to their physical needs, by helping to meet their spiritual needs. This is done through dialoguing with them, listening; by helping them to adjust to their new situation in life; by being with them when they are dying and helping them to prepare for their death. Helping the families at the time of death
- Working with the other chaplains to offer liturgies and other prayer services when occasion calls for them.
- Accompanying residents when they go out for a break or entertainment. Joining with them in their times of fun.
- Offering support to families and friends who are often very distressed when their loved ones have to go into long term care.
- We also provide pastoral care and support for other staff members.
- We liaise with other departments in trying to provide best care for the residents/patients.
- The requests for prayer is unending and in this we get the residents involved as being part of a praying team. (Annette Byrne)